Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds has appointed eight people to a medical marijuana advisory board created under a new state law.
The Republican governor announced appointments to the medical cannabidiol board Wednesday, though one slot remains vacant. The positions are unpaid and not subject to Senate confirmation.
The board was one of several provisions in a medical marijuana law that went into effect this summer. It expanded Iowa’s existing cannabis oil program by allowing the sale and manufacturing of such oil within the state.
Iowa’s new law also allows use of cannabis oil for several ailments. The board can recommend adding or removing medical conditions and is expected to work with state officials on creating the new manufacturing system.
Iowa still bans smoking marijuana, vaporizing it or eating cannabis-infused food.
Here’s the full list of the governor’s appointees:
- Pediatrician: Dr. Ken Cheyne, Clive
- Psychiatrist: Dr. Jill Liesveld, Coralville
- Law Enforcement: Mike McKelvey, Mason City
- Family Medicine: Dr. Lonny Miller, Creston
- Pharmacist: Dr. Stephen Richards, Spirit Lake
- Oncologist: Dr. Robert Shreck, Des Moines
- Pain Management: Dr. Jacqueline Stoken, Waukee
- Neurologist: Dr. Wendy Zadeh, Ankeny
Source: 420Intel – Politics